Location. Toronto, ON, Canada
We are looking for a dynamic, innovative, and disciplined Java Developer to join our healthcare data integration company of 10 employees. The Developer will be expected to implement custom application solutions that are driven by our sales team and our hospital and vendor customers. This will include new software development as well as maintenance and enhancements to existing applications.
The Development team will consist of a Technical Architect (Senior Developer) and the new applicant. Ability to work independently is therefore a must.
The overall responsibilities of the Java developer position include being able to translate business requirements into application code/logic. Further, the developer will work in close concert with the Technical Architect to ensure that they are following the coding standards throughout the application development lifecycle. Additionally, the Developer will be expected to create and maintain any technical documentation required to facilitate continued maintenance or enhancement of the application by other developers on the team.
The application is ‘plain’ Java (not Java EE) – therefore Java EE experience is not required. Strong Java skills – with an emphasis on readable and maintainable code – are a must. An oral test on Java and programming in general will be given during the interview.
The Developer will also own multiple components within the construction phase of the application, most notable, the presentation layer. This position will be a hands-on coding role where you will work with minimal supervision with cross-departmental resources facilitated by a project manager.
- Contributing to the entire software engineering process, including requirements gathering, design, development, testing, debugging, production support, and enhancement.
- Be aware of emerging or new technologies/standards in the industry and determine if they are applicable to the project.
- Implement Best Practices.
- Participate in the design and development of new and existing software solutions with Technical Architect and Technical Analysts (Field Team).
- Direct client related work (typically with third party vendor or hospital staff) – Jython development support and implementation activities.
Skills & Requirements
- Bachelors degree in computer science or related field
- Minimum 2-3 years experience in designing and implementing outstanding custom Java applications
- Proficiency with Java, including Swing
- Familiarity with, or willingness to learn: XML, SQL, Jython, Mercurial
- Strong written communication skills, for writing maintainable code and clear documentation
- Demonstrated ability to work cross-functionally within IT, other departments, and partners
- Detailed knowledge of translating business requirements into business solutions
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to meet high coding standards
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to anticipate problems proactively and take appropriate actions to mitigate negative impact
About MDI Solutions
MDI solutions does not write medical software per-se. Rather, we provide tools for the technical staff that build, maintain, and support the logical network/data links between healthcare applications. Your customers will be developers in the healthcare marketplace and IT staff at hospitals, labs, and major clinics who need clear explanations of when and why to use the various features in our industry-leading software platform. Our customers are generally technical in nature and range from “business analysts” who need easy-to-use software to build interfaces to other systems to highly-experienced programmers who are anxious to build complex solutions.
Our core product is a multi-threaded, Java-based interface engine (communication hub). The GUI is Java Swing. Want to learn more about the product? Check out the product overview at MD Link Overview.
In exchange for your hard work and dedication, we offer a great working environment, unique company culture, competitive salary and a generous benefits package including RRSP matching.
Our headquarters are currently located at King and University, just a short walk from Union Station in downtown Toronto.
Joel Test score: 11/12
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team.
Do you use source control? Yes. Can you make a build in one step? Yes. Do you make daily builds? Yes. Do you have a bug database? Yes. Do you fix bugs before writing new code? Yes. Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Yes. Do you have a spec? Yes. Do programmers have quiet working conditions? Yes. Do you use the best tools money can buy? Yes. Do you have testers? Yes. Do new candidates write code during their interview? Yes. Do you do hallway usability testing? No.
To respond to this opportunity, please e-mail your resume to email@example.com and place “Java Developer” in the subject line. All submissions will be considered confidentially. MDI Solutions is an equal opportunity employer.